From the Creator
This is my violin:
It was made in about 1910 by Alfred Fallet, an award-winning luthier who lived in a tiny village in the mountains of Switzerland. I love this violin–it was the first really high quality musical instrument I ever owned, and I’ve wanted to sample it for ages. Of course, I wanted my recordings to be a bit different from everyone else’s. In my work as a composer, I’ve been doing a lot of experiments with hand-held cassette recorders. As part of those experiments, I’ve recorded this violin on and off throughout the last summer on a whole range of different devices. As charming as I found the results, the project sat on the back burner, until one day about a month ago I was met with a stroke of luck: I was walking down the street and happened to bump into someone who was in the process of getting rid of an old four-track recorder:
I brought the recorder home, cleaned the tape head, and quickly discovered that the machine provided exactly the sound I had been looking for. The next day, I recorded a series of samples which became the core of this library. These can be found in the series of “Tape Violin” patches. Once those basic, long notes patches had been recorded and re-recorded several times, I continued the experiment by passing the results through a series of outboard hardware effects (Habit, Microcosm, Generation Loss), the results can be found in the 13 experiment patches–each of which actually consists of two unique sample sets which can be adjusted to taste.
This sample library is designed to work with the free Decent Samples player plugin. Download it here.
- Tape Violin 01 – Solo Violin (modwheel): The main long notes patch. Control the dynamics using the modulation wheel (MIDI CC#1)
- Tape Violin 02 – Solo Violin (velocity): The main long notes patch. Control the dynamics using the MIDI velocity.
- Tape Violin 03 – Solo Violin (legato simulated): A “simulated legato” version of the main long notes patch.
- Tape Violin 04 – Trio: An ensemble patch consisting of three different violin takes played at the same time
- Tape Violin 05 – Ensemble: An ensemble patch consisting of nine violins at once
- 13 “experimental” patches, each contain two unique, matched sample sets. A morph knob allows the user to seamlessly fade between the two sample sets. These were created by taking the output of the four-track and putting it through several different outboard effects.
- Sample rate: 24-bit 48 khz
- Library size: 1.19GB
There are no reviews yet.